Never thought of a mango–or more correctly, HALF a mango–as scary? I have. This morning we went for coffee with friends at little cafe in the neighbourhood. I’d taken Freckle and Ceilidh for a walk before we left, woofed down some cereal and fruit and off we went. When we left, both Ceilidh and Freckle were settled in their beds.
We were happily visiting over coffee … catching up on life … and then it hit me. The image of half a mango … a smallish, half-eaten mango … sitting on the counter near the sink! Oh my gawd! I gulped … and realized that as scary as the half-eaten mango was… it was probably too late now. One of the other three at the table was well into a story (was it a workplace saga or a pet saga? Can’t quite remember.) and so I waited before I blurted out that I’d have to run home now. You see, Freckle absolutely LOVES mango … and when Freckle stands up on her back legs, she’s quite tall! Tall enough to scoop things off the top of the kitchen counter with her arms. This we learned a few weeks ago when we came home to discover new and fun things to do with cherry tomatoes (SEE STORY BELOW).
Our friend finished her story and I said nonchalantly to Mary Doug … “Did you eat the rest of the mango by any chance?”
She looked at me as if I’d lost it. “What?”
I said, “Did you eat the half mango that was on the kitchen counter before we left?”
Her eyes got big as she realized what it was that I was thinking. “Noooooooo….. what mango?” Our friends looked at us quizzically (they’re both cat people) and began to pack up. They’ve known us for long enough to know that the look on our faces meant “dog emergency!”
As we approached our apartment, we peered in the window and saw Freckle snoozing peacefully on the couch. No sign of mango juice on her chops … no gasping as one might expect if a mango pit got stuck partway down her throat. Once inside, we checked and there it was–the scary half mango–sitting equally peacefully on the counter. Whew! Another disaster averted! I’d had visions of Freckle taking that half mango into her mouth and it sliding gracefully down, pit and all–possibly choking her to death … or perhaps only lodging in her intestines somewhere to be retrieved by a $10,000 surgery! Just another relaxing Sunday morning in the neighbourhood…